Monday, July 20, 2009

It was HOW hot??

I hope everyone enjoyed a fantastic weekend. I know I did. We jam-packed more mini adventures into one 24-hour period than we have done in a long time, AND we did it all in scorching weather. Wanna know how hot it got? Take a looksie.

At first, it started off at a cool 117F. We didn't think it could get any hotter...


We were wrong.

Oh yeah, that reads 123F! Ever wonder what that's like? You know when you open up your oven door to take out that yummy pot roast you've been cooking and a whoosh of hot air strikes your face? That's what it's like to be in 123F weather, except you can't just close the oven door to escape the heat, but you can go into a museum and enjoy the exhibits not to mention the air conditioning!!

The museum had a great local artists exhibit. I thought this piece was quite interesting. Can you tell what it's made of? Try to *unlock* your mind...

I really liked this quilted wall hanging. I think quilting might be my next endeavor.

The museum only had two rooms, one for local artists and one dedicated to the natural history of the area. Gotta love the critters!

That night we escaped the heat by going to the movies. Someone wanted to see the new Harry Potter movie, so I happily obliged to see it again. Sunday was another scorcher of a day, but we wanted to go see a very cool natural wonder.

Ever hear of the Trona Pinnacles? Well, I bet if you haven't heard of them, you've definitely seen them. Hollywood comes to pay these wonders a visit every year. The original Planet of the Apes was filmed right here in the middle of no-man's land.

The Pinnacles are tens of thousands of years old and are made of tufa, or calcium carbonate.

They formed under 680 feet of water in what is now an ancient dry lake bed. Pretty cool, huh?

We didn't hike any of the spires since it was way too hot. Instead, we drove around them periodically jumping out to take a closer look. You can see that there are a lot of driving trails to explore.

I'm all pooped out from our weekend adventures, but we have more to come as we gear up for a ten day "stay-cation." I can hardly wait!

4 comments:

Ingunn said...

Gaahk! I start melting once it gets over 90...

What a cool place though!

Anonymous said...

What a cool looking place and you guys look great! Tanned and fit.... 123 F? I'd be dying in that heat. We rarely get above 100 in our area and I can't even remember the last time we topped 100 here. Our summer has been pretty cool so far which is rather unusual but August is fast approaching and I'm sure it'll bring hotter temps.

Stefanie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your thanks for my comment on your dear Isabel. My blue-point Siamese, Rikki is 11 years old and I don't even want to consider life without him. Pain hurts...no matter the loss.
My personal blog is www.semplydone.blogspot.com.

Corina said...

I can't even believe you left the house in that kind of heat! I would DIE if it were over 100! lol